Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Follow the Prophet?

In Sunday School, we were talking about following the prophet. The discussion led to talk about how if we just follow him in faith are we blind followers.

I have also been reading the "Work and the Glory" series. I just got finished with the section on the Haun's Mill Masacre. It was enlightening to me that the Prophet Joseph forewarned those citizens to leave Haun's Mill and retreat to other places. Those people that stayed behind felt like they could defend themselves alright and didn't need to listen to the prophet. So many terrible and horrific things happened. How many lives lost, purity taken, etc. I know many miracles also happpened like with Alma Smith and etc. but how many lives were lost because they DID NOT HEED THE PROPHET!

Then to think of the prophets in the Book of Mormon and Bible and even Today. I have never received guidance that would be considered immoral. Uncomfortable and taking me out of my personal comfort zone. ABSOLUTELY!!! Does following their command help me grow? WITHOUT A DOUBT!

I would rather follow the prophet blindly and take the consequence than to not heed and to not follow and see the destruction that could happen. Anyone remember NOAH! I certainly cannot swim that well.

I do not feel like I follow blindly either. I PRAY and feel the warmth and assurance from the Holy Spirit that these are words to follow and I feel the blessings from obedience. I have much to work on in this area but I know I am trying my best every day. I feel the peace from this. That is worth it all on its own merit.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I could totally feel the spirit when I read your blog. How grateful I am to be able to get the assurance and confirmation about the prophet, who he is and that he is called of God. That will always be a most cherished memory for me (the day he was announced as the prophet and the spirit confirming that to me).

    ReplyDelete