Thursday, September 6, 2012

Service is the cure for selfish pity

The garden is flourishing so that is a good outcome for all of the heat and humidity.  Last week was a hard one at work.  That of course carried home and combined with the heat, made for a grumpy me.  On Wednesday evening, a sweet friend and myself went to the temple to fulfill a ward assignment.  We came out to the most beautiful sunset.  It was humbling to remember all of the beauties that Heavenly Father has created for us to enjoy.  Then on Friday morning, I just decided to be happy on that day.  I started to look for opportunities to serve others and a miracle occurred.  As soon as I stepped out of my self-absorption, the world around me changed and I was able to smile and laugh and find joy.  Then last evening our home teacher came and was asking us about why service is important.  I really think one thing leads to another.  Service allows us to step outside of ourselves and to see a different perspective.  This makes us grateful for our blessings which helps us want to serve others.  The cure for the good old fashioned pity party is indeed service to our fellow brothers and sisters.  Just imagine if everyone did this day in and day out.  What a pleasant world we would have.  But then, we can start with changing our own self and move outward to our families and then spread outward to our wards and communities.  Each one of us doing a little bit makes a huge difference.
 
Hope to always find joy in the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment