Monday, May 7, 2012

Along Came A Spider

We are still having some plumbing issues in our home and finally Saturday afternoon/evening I decided to do some much needed yarden work.  First off, the weeds are out of control and second off, I needed to do something that would make me feel in control of the situation.  I usually wear my shoes so that I can mow, weedwack, etc without harm but I knew I would not be using equipment that afternoon and went barefoot.  I love barefoot.  The way dirt and grass feel between my toes and the moist moss feels so soft.  So I was sitting down weeding when I felt something biting my foot.  I only had one more weed to reach so I finished it off.  I figured I was being stung by a centipede or something.  I moved my foot and a pretty big black spider started crawling up a nearby container.  I thought it might be a black widow so I stopped and finally subdued it enough to turn it over.  There it was.  The red hourglass.  I knew that it what had bitten me.  Sure enough a few moments later my foot swelled and my toes tingled and went numb.  I figured oh well and continued gardening for about 1 1/2 more hours.  I kept watch on my foot but nothing else happened.  Glad I am not alergic to the venom.  The bite site itches where my shoe fits and I know my foot is still a little swollen but no harm no foul.  I did have to kill the spider so she probably feels like it was great harm.  First a human had her crunched with the foot and then messed with her to turn her over and then smooshed her with a rock.  Bad day to be that black widow spider......

No comments:

Post a Comment